How to profit from affiliate marketing?
What is Affiliate Marketing and How to Profit from it?
Affiliate marketing is a type of performance-based marketing in which a business rewards one or more affiliates for each visitor or customer brought by the affiliate’s own marketing efforts.
The industry has four core players:
- the merchant (also known as ‘retailer’ or ‘brand’),
- the network (that contains offers for the affiliate to choose from and also takes care of the payments),
- the publisher (also known as ‘the affiliate’), and
- the customer.
The market has grown in complexity, resulting in the emergence of a secondary tier of players, including affiliate management agencies, super-affiliates and specialized third party vendors.
Affiliate marketing overlaps with other Internet marketing methods to some degree, because affiliates often use regular advertising methods. Those methods include organic search engine optimization (SEO), paid search engine marketing (PPC – Pay Per Click), e-mail marketing, content marketing and in some sense display advertising. On the other hand, affiliates sometimes use less orthodox techniques, such as publishing reviews of products or services offered by a partner.
Affiliate marketing is commonly confused with referral marketing, as both forms of marketing use third parties to drive sales to the retailer. However, both are distinct forms of marketing and the main difference between them is that affiliate marketing relies purely on financial motivations to drive sales while referral marketing relies on trust and personal relationships to drive sales.
Affiliate marketing is frequently overlooked by advertisers. While search engines, e-mail, and website syndication capture much of the attention of online retailers, affiliate marketing carries a much lower profile.
Below one of the example of Working Affiliate program:
Affiliate programs, also called associate programs, are arrangements in which an online merchant Web site pays affiliate Web sites a commission to send them traffic.
- Walmart – Walmart has an affiliate program. You can find it at https://affiliates.walmart.com/. They even have a Walmart WordPress Plugin to help you add product links to your WordPress content.
- Best Buy – This retail giant has an active affiliate program with extensive support and and marketing tool available for you to use. https://developer.bestbuy.com/affiliate-program
- Sears – You can sign up for the Sears affiliate program through CJ Affilaite. They are an affiliate program consolidator that I have mentioned before. You can see more program details at http://www.sears.com/sears-affiliate/nb-100000000227522.
- Target – Another big retailer you with a well supported program. You can find Target’s information at http://affiliate.target.com/.
- Best Western – If your niche is travel related, consider Best Western Hotels affiliate program. The details are at http://www.bestwestern.com/about-us/affiliate-program.
- Expedia.com – Online travel marketer Expedia is another good choice for a travel related website. Find them at http://www.expedia.com/p/network-affiliate.
- Michaels – This one would be a good match for a craft related niche site. Learn more about it at http://invitations.michaels.com/custserv_content.jsp?pageName=affiliateProgram.
- Jo-Ann – Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts also has a program that would be good for a sewing, knitting or other crafting website at http://www.joann.com/affiliate-program.html.
- Dicks Sporting Goods – If your niche is sports related, consider. They have a wide selection of products to promote. Go to http://affiliatemarketing.bizcentral.com/affiliateprograms/1315-apparel/146189-dickssportinggoodscom-sporting-goods-affiliate-program.
- Gander Mountain – For the outdoor niche, Gander Mountain is a perfect match. Hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, boating… If you to it outdoors Gander Mountain probably has a product for your activity. The link is http://www.gandermountain.com/help-center/about-us/affiliate-program.shtml.